Home
Magazine On-line [spring 2010]
Email this link to a friend

Around campus

Narcotic Farm Photos

These photos show various views of the United States Narcotic Farm, which the U.S. Public Health Service operated in Lexington from 1935-75. The institution represented the first concerted federal effort to deal with the problem of drug addiction. The massive complex of buildings, used today as a federal prison, is located on the outskirts of Lexington. Its pastoral setting was part of the therapeutic approach to remove drug addicts from the crowded cities where addiction festered.

Photo credits:
Kentucky Historical Society
Library of Congress
National Library of Medicine
U.S. Public Health Service
University of Kentucky

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm

Narcotic Farm


Produced by Office of Publications three times a year