What We Believe
The Division of Student Life at Transylvania University supports a liberal arts education that fosters learning and personal development through campus involvement and leadership.
Our student life staff affirms the following values, and holds them as goals for student development, both and off campus.
- Self-Awareness: Students will gain the basic developmental tools and strategies necessary to continuously discover, evaluate, and formulate their professional and personal identities.
- Responsible Citizenship: Students will learn the responsibilities for living in a community and will develop social, ethical, and political skills through participation in campus organizations, community groups, and servant leadership.
- Effective Interpersonal Relationships: Students will develop respectful and clear communication skills as they establish trusting relationships.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Students will exhibit a balanced approach to personal lifestyle choices in the following areas of development: social, emotional, spiritual, and physical.
- Embracing Diversity: Students will develop skills to recognize and appreciate similarities and differences of race, culture, religion, sexual orientation, ability/disability, and gender among community members. In addition, students will demonstrate respect for each person as a valued community member.
- Leadership: Students will be able to acquire the skills, attitudes, and knowledge to successfully work with and through others for the accomplishment of mutual goals.