Tobacco free campus policy
In hopes of promoting a healthier environment and to reduce second-hand smoke exposure, Transylvania University has adopted a policy that prohibits smoking in public indoor and outdoor areas of campus, where non-smokers cannot avoid smoke.
The policy includes:
- The use of all tobacco products, both smoking and smokeless.
- All indoor and outdoor university owned areas with the exception of the designated smoking site located between Clay Residence Hall and the International House.
- All university owned parking lots. Smoking in personal vehicles is prohibited if that vehicle is on university owned property.
The policy will be enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week and applies to all faculty, staff, and students as well as all contractors, visitors, and other non-employees. All persons must be willing to openly communicate when a person is in violation. The concept of self-reporting can only succeed with some form of stated guidelines and/or procedures. The following guidelines are in place to respond to violations of the tobacco policy:
- Faculty/Staff – If a faculty or staff member is violating the policy a complaint will be filed with Human Resources (HR). A HR representative will then pass the complaint on to the employee's upervisor for discussion. The supervisor will have one week to file a report with HR. HR will document any information related to the incident in the employee's file.
- Student – If a students is violating the policy, he/she will be reported in writing to the Office of the Dean of Students. The Office of the Dean of Students will send the complaint to the Student Judicial Board.
- Visitors – Building supervisors and event planners will be responsible for communicating the policy to all visitors. Failure to comply could result in removal from the campus.