In 1775, hunters from Harrodsburg were camping near here when they heard the news
of a battle in the small Massachusetts town of Lexington. They commemorated the
event by naming the site Lexington. Four years later, Robert Patterson and about
25 others hacked out a clearing in the heavy canebrake beside a branch of the
Elkhorn River and built a crude fort. Patterson was a vigorous leader in this
new community and became a trustee of the young Transylvania in 1795. His log
cabin, one of the first in Lexington, is preserved here.
»To list of buildings and facilities